Connecticut Officials Say Middle-Schoolers Played Choking Game
Monday, December 22, 2008
NORTH HAVEN, Conn. — North Haven officials are warning parents about the dangers of what's called the "choking game" after nine middle school students admitted they tried it out in school bathrooms last week.
The game involves actual choking to produce a euphoric, dreamlike feeling that comes when blood rushes back to the brain. The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the game is linked to the deaths of 82 children from 1995 through 2007.
North Haven Middle School Principal Philip Piazza says nine friends decided to try out the "choking game" after reading about it on the Internet. He says the students told him they felt woozy and were close to passing out.
No one was hurt. Piazza says the students involved face disciplinary action.